Setting an app time limit is a great way of preventing yourself from spending all day watching Netflix, YouTube, playing games, using too much social networking like browsing Twitter or checking out what your friends are doing in Instagram.
It can also be really useful to enable on a family device or a kids device if you want to limit their usage of particular apps to a specific time. And if you’d rather avoid the news, that’s an option as well. You can limit any apps you want with Screen Time as you’ll see.
- Open the Settings app and then tap “Screen Time” to get started.
- Tap “App Limits.”
- If you have any limits already set, you’ll see them here. Tap “Add Limit” to set a new one.
- Tap the circle beside an app category to set a limit for all apps that fall under that category. You can see which apps those are by tapping the category itself. You can do that If you’d rather set a time limit for a specific app, too.
- Press “Next” when all of the apps you want to set time limits for have been selected.
- Now it’s time to set the limit. Use the time picker to select the hours and minutes that you’d like to limit the app to. You can also customize which days the limit takes affect by tapping “Customize Days,” too. Tap “Add” when ready.
Once the Screen Time limit is in effect for that app, say for an hour, when the time limit is over a message on the screen will appear notifying the user of the screen time limit being reached. You can override it at any time if you know the passcode.
=> Note: By the way, if you are adding time limits to apps and need to change the Screen Time passcode on iPhone or iPad to one that someone else using the device doesn’t know, you can do that too.
You can set a time limit for an app on any child’s device that is part of your family, too. This is possible with the Family Sharing iCloud feature available for iPhone and iPad.
- Open the Settings app, then tap on Screen Time
- Tap on the persons name
- Now tap on “App Limits.”
- Tap “Add Limit” to create a new limit for an app
- Tap the circle beside an app category to set limits for app categories, recall you can see which apps are included by tapping the category directly. If you wish to set a specific Screen Time Limit for a particular app it’s done there too.
- Tap “Next” once you have select the app(s) or category to set screen time limits for
- Next, set the limit itself by using the time picker choose hours and minutes to limit the app usage to, for example 30 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hours, etc, you can optionally choose what days to set the limits for by selecting “Customize Days”
- Tap “Add” when finished configuring to set the screen time limit
Alternatively, if you don’t use iCloud Family Sharing then you can set the time limit on their device directly instead, using the same instructions as shown earlier.
Using Family Sharing to set screen time limits is particularly useful for parents and caregivers though, because if you set them from your iPad or iPhone, you can do it without them knowing, which is even more fun!